The DTET, West Bengal under the administrative control of Department of Technical Education, Training and Skill Development, Government of West Bengal of the State Looks after education at Diploma level. It also provides Short Term Vocational Training in order to prepare the Youth for self-employment.
I.Diploma/Post Diploma Education
- Implementing the decision of the State Government to set up at least one Polytechnic in every Sub-Division of the State.
- Education in the polytechnics is imparted leading to Diploma/ Post-Diploma in Engineering & Technology, Architecture and Pharmacy through Polytechnics and Hotel Management and Catering Technology through non-Polytechnic Institutes.
- On 1st June, 2011 only 26 Sub-Divisions of the State had a total number of 65 Polytechnics, 40 being Govt. & Govt. Sponsored and 25 self-financed. Substantial growth has been registered and now the total number of Polytechnics across the State has reached to 153, out of which 66 are Govt. Polytechnics, 3 are Govt. Sponsored and 84 are self-financed. Besides, 12 Polytechnics are under different stages of construction.
- The intake capacity in Polytechnics has now gone up to 37,955 in 2018-19 to a total intake of 17,185 before 1st June, 2011.
- Polytechnics of the State now run 31 diploma courses and 2 post-diploma courses under affiliation of West Bengal State Council of Technical and Vocational Education and Skill Development (WBSCT&VE&SD).
- Women’s’ hostels are being set up in 25 of the Govt. Polytechnics with part financial assistance of MHRD, Govt. of India, of which 22 have been completed. In 25 Polytechnics Boys’ Hostels are there and 5 Girls’ Hostels are existing in the polytechnics which were constructed under State Plan.
- After successful completion of MHRD sponsored Project on setting up of E-Yantra Labs at 5 Govt. Polytechnics in collaboration with IIT Mumbai in 1st Phase, the project has been granted to additional 6 Polytechnics. It is a matter of pride that students of APC Roy Polytechnic stood first in the All India Students’ Robotics Competition held at IIT, Mumbai.
- 60 Polytechnics and the Department Office premises have been upgraded to Wi-Fi campus under WBSWAN project.
II.Setting up of New Polytechnics in un-served Sub-Divisions
III.Construction of Women’s Hostel in existing Govt Polytechnics
IV.Upgradation of Existing Polytechnics
V.Community Development through Polytechnic
VI.Community College Scheme